Sunday, April 26, 2009

Depression


On Friday May 1st my debut novel, The Baker’s Dozen, is being released to the public! Am I excited? Absolutely! Who wouldn’t be? And treading on its heels, May 3 - May 9, is yet another momentous time - National Anxiety and Depression Awareness Week. You’ll find that The Baker’s Dozen touches on the subject of depression and mental illness within the family as it narrates the story of a young woman’s struggle from within to allow herself the freedom to love. With the two being very significant to me, I thought it was the perfect time to write this blog.

With a struggling economy and so many companies shedding jobs, more and more people are facing situations that could easily drive them over the edge of sanity. Depression has claimed many victims and embedded its ugly claws in the lives of people you would never think possible.

For instance, no one could ever have convinced me that I would experience depression. A few years ago I endured several major changes in my life, all at one time, that caused me to fall into a deep emotional slump. After weeks of being in denial, I finally convinced myself to take advantage of the employee assistance program at work. It wasn’t an overnight process, but I had to take the first step toward healing. The help that I received, coupled with my spiritual growth, enabled me to climb out of the pit I’d subconsciously fallen into.

That first step was the hardest. As a single woman and head of my household, I had developed the attitude of a leader. I had to be strong for my family, and admitting that I was dealing with depression was the same as admitting that I was weak and could be penetrated. Not to mention I was embarrassed. Those are some reasons why depression goes untreated. So many are ashamed to admit that they’re suffering, so they suffer in silence, thinking it will go away when sometimes it only gets worse.

Here are some facts you should know about depression:

·        It causes you to feel sad and hopeless much of the time.

·        Anyone can have depression. It often, but not always, runs in families.

·        It can be caused by major events that cause stress, illnesses, medications, and drug/alcohol use.

·        It can be treated with counseling or antidepressant medicine, or both.

 

Here are some facts that I found to be really interesting:

·        54% of people think depression is a personal weakness.

·        41% of depressed women are too embarrassed to seek help.

·        80% of depressed people are not currently getting treatment.

·        92% of depressed African-American males do not seek treatment.

·        15% of depressed people will commit suicide.

·        Depression will be the second largest killer after heart disease by 2020 - and studies show depression is a contributory factor to fatal coronary disease. 

If you or someone you know needs help, there are many resources available. Also, in observance of National Anxiety and Depression Awareness Week, I challenge you to broaden your knowledge of depression. Here’s one website I found to be particularly helpful: www.freedomfromfear.org

 

If you are led to make a contribution to this cause, visit www.mindovermatter2day.com, a not-for-profit organization that uses the donations they receive to help people get the assistance they need.  

Please join me as I celebrate the release of my debut novel on Friday May 1st

To order your copy of The Baker’s Dozen, visit www.peaceinthestormpublishing.com

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I think this is a much needed thread for the depressing state that is riding on the wings of a depressing economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I go through my seasonal tides between depression/mania as my bipolar spirals I can relate to a lot of the depressing issues that drives us to insanity. Right now I've been thanking God that I managed to come out of my depression early but now I'm going through the phases of mixed cycling where I just drive myself bonkers with endless what if's and am I good enough!

    Thanx for posting this blog because many of us suffer from depression and do feel it's a weakness then never open up to talk about it so that they can process what they are going through and eventually heal or come to that point of "This too shall pass!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, great food for thought as the National Week for Anxiety and Depression approaches. As you have stated, so many people are either in denial and/or seriously afraid to admit their vulnerability to this all too common disease. Since the causes and symptoms of depression are so varied, many go undiagnosed and untreated, dealing silently and isolated with this disease. As human beings, we have to educate ourselves on such important matters and be willing to be supportive & understanding to those we know who may be experiencing this. Sometimes just knowing that you are not alone and that others care can be the inspiration one needs to get them back on track to a more positive mindset, which in turn affects their actions and incites a different way of viewing their situation. Our thoughts and reactions to them can be the most influential and/or destructive aspect of our being. Learning how to think positively, regardless of the situation or circumstance is a process and it takes commitment, meditation and most of all much PRAYER. Thanks Sharon for sharing…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depression is a very real problem and many people don't fully understand the grips that it has. On my blog, http://www.verbalconquest.blogspot.com I made comments about depression. I know it too well. Please check me out. Thank you again for posting this and I will be getting your book. Much success in all of your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad to say, but many people turn to self-medication such as drugs and alcohol. This is something that is brushed over in the African American community. I think this is a great article because is backs everything with facts that really paint a picture about how severe this problem is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It definetly is the unspoken disease. No one should ever cast that stone because one day it could hit you too. I know how many people think this is a weakness. It is not strong or weak, or one day thing or even this will pass thing. It really does not ever pass you just have to learn to manage it. Most of the time Depression is a part of you, so embrace it and get the help that is out there for you. There is a light amongst all the darkness. Trust me, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SD,

    I am so glad that you spoke up on this. This is a issue that many of us deal with, whether directly or indirectly, we deal with it. but, Thank you for speaking out!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. S.D.,
    what wonderful information...I look forward to your book...

    angelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. SD...I know far too much about this subject. I can really appreciate how you felt admitting there was an issue was equal to admittig defeat. It's the Superwoman trap we have a tendency to fall into. I know this comment comes months after you posted this, but I thought it necessary to share. Great discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is wonderful. As one who suffers with anxiety/depression and bipolar disease. I think its a blessing to be able to bring a light to the disease The statistics are true. Most don't understand it or get treatment. Definitely looking forward to reading this book!

    ReplyDelete