Friday, November 2, 2012

Yes, I am a Single Parent!

The problem with being raised in a single-parent household is that I never truly saw the importance or learned the value of living in a household with both parents raising their children together. My parents were separated by the time I was three years old, and even though my father was still in our lives, it was mostly across many miles and we didn't see each other sometimes for years at a time. I saw my mother struggle to take care of three children on her own. Barely having an education and without financial support, she managed to do it. Years later, as a young adult, I became a single mother. It wasn't until years down the road that I realized what my life and my children's lives may have been like had things happened differently and had I known the value of a two-parent household. It may have had a huge affect on my decision making. I've done what I could to try to make up for that, but can we ever really make up for it? I can only hope that my children recongnize how much I love them in spite of it all. Will the cycle repeat itself? It has already begun. Even with all that, I do not feel that I am a part of a huge problem in this country. For most people, life doesn't always play out perfectly; therefore, I refuse to take responsibility for what is wrong with America or the world for that matter. In spite of it all, I am blessed and highly favored. I live my life with purpose and humility and try to demonstrate forgiveness and unconditional love in my walk. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that God works in mysterious ways. Say and think what you will. God is who I answer to and I am but a vessel, so I write...maybe not for everyone, but still I write...     SD Denny
Author & Freelance Editor

1 comment:

  1. I love how candid you are. We truly take in more than we know as we grow up. Even as I get older, I see myself doing some of the exact same things I detested about my mother and I try to make an effort to be better. The thing is, we automatically reproduce what's been programmed in our mind, except we consciously try to do otherwise. Men who grow up hating their fathers for beating on their mothers turn around and beat their wives. And they can't understand it, but they have not been taught to handle conflict differently. Great insight you have there. You can speak to your grand kids about it, and your younger son. It's always possible to start to break a cycle. But we have to see it first to address it. Blessings and hugs.

    ReplyDelete